WhatsApp, Google, Facebook and Twitter support the fight against fake news in the 2020 Municipal Elections. Technology companies will participate in the Superior Electoral Court (TSE) Disinformation Facing Program. The Court Presidency developed the project with the objective of combating misinformation and all its negative developments in the Brazilian electoral process, especially in the Municipal Elections of 2020.
Recently, a messenger executive cited the illegal sending of mass messages in the 2018 Elections in a lecture. This was the first time the app admitted to being used for practice. The Brazilian Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters (Abert), the Brazilian Press Association (ABI) and the Brazilian Internet Association (Abranet) are also on the list of entities that support the TSE project.
WhatsApp admits illegal mass mailing in 2018
WhatsApp can help TSE fight fake news in 2020 elections Photo: Reproduction / Lucas Mendes
Want to buy a cell phone, TV and other discounted products? Meet the Compare dnetc
Next Tuesday (22), at 18:15, the signing of the adhesion form will take place at the Office of the Presidency of the Court, in Brasilia. The initiative is currently partnered by 36 institutions, such as political parties and public and private entities.
With the entry of digital platforms, the total becomes 40. They will contribute to the development and application of joint procedures to reduce the negative effects of the dissemination of false information about Electoral Justice and elections, such as the electronic voting system.
Understand the combat program s fake news
The TSE Presidency created the program on August 30, 2019 to combat misinformation and its negative impacts on the Brazilian electoral process, including the Municipal Elections 2020.
To date, the project has the support of 36 institutions such as the press, telecommunications, information technology, Internet service providers, check agencies and political parties, among others. With the participation of WhatsApp, Google, Facebook and Twitter, the program has 40 entities.
WhatsApp can help TSE fight fake news in 2020 elections Photo: Rodrigo Fernandes / dnetc
The TSE Disinformation Facing Program addresses a number of issues. Just them: "Media and Information Literacy" to teach people how to identify and check fake news; "Containment Misinformation", with measures directed at institutions to discourage the spread of false content; and "Misinformation Identification and Verification", for the purpose of refining methods for identifying false disclosure practices.
According to Ricardo Fioreze, assistant judge of the TSE Presidency and coordinator of the program's managing group, the companies' involvement in the project helps in the fight "against a phenomenon that has been potentiated by the use of the Internet, since the most used applications for the traffic of information is also used to disseminate misinformation. "
List of institutions that are already part of the project
- Brazilian Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters (Abert)
- Brazilian Press Association (ABI)
- Brazilian Internet Association (Abranet)
- Brazilian Association of Radio and Television (Abratel)
- Brazilian Association of Internet and Telecommunications Providers (Abrint)
- National Association of Newspapers (ANJ)
- Facts Agency
- I believe association
- Brazilian Association of Communication Agencies (Abracom)
- InternetLab Association for Research in Law and Technology
- Internet Management Council (CGI.br)
- Open Word Institute
- Update Institute
- Ministry of Justice and Public Security
- Federal Public Ministry
- Federal Council of the Brazilian Bar Association
- Forward Party
- Communist Party of Brazil (PCdoB)
- Crist Democracy Party (DC)
- Democratic Party (DEM)
- Brazilian Labor Renewing Party (PRTB)
- Solidarity Party
- Progressives Party (PP)
- Republican Party
- Brazilian Labor Party (PTB)
- Safernet Brasil
- Brazilian Computer Society (SBC)
- Executive Secretariat of the National Combat Movement Committee Electoral Corruption
- Magnifying Glass Agency
- Christ Social Party (PSC)
- Party We Can (Can)
- Democratic Labor Party (PDT)
- Institutional Security Office of the Presidency of the Republic
- Institute I Accept Corruption
WhatsApp: Mailing List Questions and Answers