VSCO is one of the most acclaimed photography and image editing apps of the moment. In addition to features like its famous filters, the application also functions as a social platform.
Through their community, amateur and professional photographers share their conceptual photos so that other users can view them. Formerly known as VSCO Cam, the program is available for Android and iOS.
The app’s unique and refined style has become so popular that it has even spawned a new term that never leaves social media: VSCO Girl. Check out everything you need to know to start using the most stylish app of the moment.
How to edit your photos in VSCO
You can edit photos that already exist in your phone’s gallery or made on the spot, within the application itself. To start editing, access the item Studio. If you want to take the photo, tap on the camera icon. If you prefer to use an existing one, go to the +, select the image and tap import.
That done, just follow the steps below to start editing.
1. All images available in the app will then appear in the folder All. Touch the photo you want to edit and then the black circle with two lines and two circles;
2. In the first option, there are the filters available in VSCO. If All presets is selected, all existing filters will be displayed. Those that appear with a padlock are paid, that is, they can only be used by those who have a premium subscription;
3. If you want to customize the selected filter, just touch it again and increase or decrease its intensity. Confirm with the check icon;
4. On the side, in the icon formed by two lines with circles at the ends, several image editing tools are available. Some of them are:
- Exposure: allows you to simulate the time of exposure of the camera sensor to light. In short, it can lighten or darken the photo;
- Contrast: changes the difference between the light and dark regions of the image;
- Adjust: ensures cropping of the image according to predefined formats, as well as rotating it (in Crop + Straighten) or tilt it on the horizontal and / or vertical axes (in Slope);
- Sharpness: refers to how clearly the image is displayed. The greater the sharpness, the greater the contrast between the details and lines of the photo;
- Saturation: is related to the perception of the colors in the image;
- Tone: allows you to change highlights and shadows of the photo;
- The other options available are: white balance, skin tone, vignette, granulation, fading and split tone (allows to give color to the contours, shaded).
5. In the following icon, with a return arrow, it is possible to check your last editing choices. If you really like the pattern created and want a set of effects to be applied to other photos, choose Create a recipe from your current editions;
6. This recipe will be available in the item beside, composed of three lines with a star;
7. To end an edit, go to To save, available at the top of the screen on the right;
8. To download the image in the gallery, on the next screen, select the image and tap on the down arrow icon;
9. If you want to share the work with the VSCO community, keep the photo selected and tap the up arrow icon;
10. Then include the caption and / or hashtag, if you like, and go to Publish to VSCO. There, your photo will be available to all users of the application.
What is VSCO
VSCO appeared in 2011 under the name VSCO Cam and its differentiated editing tools and filters soon won over photography fans. According to the developers, the program is more than a simple editor and social network, but a creative channel driven by self-expression.
To start using it, you first need to download the app, available for Android and iOS, on your smartphone. Then, you must make a brief registration using the phone number or email. In both cases, all you have to do is create a username, password and go to Register.
Soon, you will be able to use all the features of the application, which we explain below.
As with other social networks, the VSCO feed contains the photos of the profiles you follow. In addition, the app also displays updates from VSCO Colletion, a selection of photos made to inspire users.
As the name suggests, the section allows you to explore the best that’s going on in the app community. Photo suggestions are specially displayed for you, image editorials and photo selections divided by themes.
Among them are Humanity, Water, Sun and Shadow, Summer, In motion, Geometric and much more. If you want to explore on your own, tap on the magnifying glass icon, located in the upper left corner of the screen.
Then, search for users, images or diaries. If you like something, you can favor the image, follow the profile or share the content through other apps.
It’s in the section Studio that magic happens. In it users can edit their photos and incorporate the VSCO style into the images. The app allows you to use photos from the phone’s gallery or take one instantly.
You can apply filters and use tools that change contrast, exposure, sharpness, saturation, skin tone, fading and more. If you use the editing pattern quite often, you can save it as a favorite recipe. Thus, changes are made with just a touch of the following photos.
7 apps to turn your photos into drawings.
As with any social network, users have their profile in the VSCO community. In it, you can include a photo that represents you, a nice description and link to your page, if you have it.
In addition, there are gathered all your photos shared with the community, favorite images and collections.
What is VSCO Subscription?
Despite offering free tools, VSCO also has a paid plan, which has extra features. Among them are more than 160 presets (as filters are called), advanced editing features and the possibility to edit and color videos.
If desired, the user can test all these items for free for 7 days. To do this, it is necessary to have a credit card registered in the app store (App Store or Google Play) and cancel the evaluation before the deadline. Otherwise, the subscription fee will be charged.
After all, what is VSCO Girl?
The term VSCO Girl has been quite high lately. But, after all, what does it refer to and what is the relationship with the app? According to the StayHipp website, VSCO Girl is a girl whose lifestyle combines with VSCO’s aesthetics. His style is considered trendy, but basic at the same time.
The term has been widely used in social networks. Also according to the page, on Tik Tok, the hashtag #VSCOgirl it has been used more than 118 million times, while on Instagram it appears in more than 1 million publications.
On YouTube, you can find videos that “teach” how to become a VSCO Girl, that is, how to fit into this fashion and basic profile. The less it looks like you tried to put together a look, the better.
Want an alternative that doesn’t need to download? Then check out the best free ‘Photoshop’ options online. See also 7 photo montage apps you need to know!