Rumored by the beginning of 2014 and officially presented at WWDC 2014 in June, the eighth version of the iOS it is now available to all consumers, as promised at last week's event.
During its beta testing period with developers, we publish numerous compilations of screenshots (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.), but it is always good to make a quick recap of news for users.
Starting with the Messages application, which has gained several improvements (all of which already exist in an old competitor known to us) such as sending audio, locating, creating and managing groups. Another strongly improved application was Fotos, which brought more tools for editing and handling photographs, culminating in the discontinuation of iPhoto for iOS.
IOS 8 also features an entirely new application, Sade (Health). In it, various medical information, biological and health levels of the user will be compiled, allowing for constant monitoring.
The big news, however, are the possibilities that the iOS 8 SDK brings to developers and we will begin to realize them even today, when applications optimized for iOS 8 and using the most of its new APIs such as HealthKit (still unavailable), HomeKit, etc. are being released on the App Store.
Developers have never had so much access to what iDevices offer, and interactive notifications, several new features and improvements, third-party keyboards, etc. they are among the hundreds of features that will be applied in updating existing applications, in addition to those that are yet to come.
IOS 8 also brings the new generation of iCloud. When updating your iGadget an option appears to activate or not iCloud Drive; if you choose to activate it, be aware that all your data that is currently on iCloud will be migrated to iCloud Drive, which means that devices that do not have access to iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite will not have access to them.
IOS 8 released today to end users has the same build (12A365) as the version Golden Master made available last week to developers and can be downloaded directly from your device over the air (over-the-air, or OTA) or directly through iTunes. It is minimally compatible with iPhones 4s, iPads 2, iPad mini and iPod touch 5th generation.
Historically, it is quite likely that the first six hours after the update is released that the system will experience instability and slowness. My recommendation: calm down, everyone will receive iOS 8. And in time, it’s worth remembering that it wasn’t this time that Siri gained support for the Brazilian Portuguese, but we already have several features offered by iOS 8, including a deductive keyboard and Dictation.
A new version of iOS 8 (probably 8.0.1) is also expected in the coming weeks, bringing general corrections / improvements.
Updated by Eduardo Marques · 09/17/2014 s 14:18
Here are the links to download the files (for those who prefer to install the new system manually, through iTunes):
- iPad2,1 = iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad2,2 = iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad2,3 = iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA)
- iPad2,4 = iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
- iPad2.5 = iPad mini Wi-Fi
- iPad2,6 = iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad2,7 = iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA)
- iPad3,1 = third generation iPad Wi-Fi
- iPad3,2 = Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA) third generation iPad
- iPad3,3 = third generation iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad3,4 = 4th generation iPad Wi-Fi
- iPad3,5 = 4th generation Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM) iPad
- iPad3,6 = 4th generation Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA) iPad
- iPad4,1 = iPad Air Wi-Fi
- iPad4,2 = iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad4,3 = iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular (compatible with 4G networks in China)
- iPad4,4 = iPad mini with Retina Wi-Fi screen
- iPad4,5 = iPad mini with Retina Wi-Fi + Cellular screen
- iPad4,6 = iPad mini with Retina Wi-Fi + Cellular screen (compatible with 4G networks in China)
- iPhone4,1 = iPhone 4s
- iPhone5,1 = iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone5,2 = iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone5,3 = iPhone 5c (A1532 / A1456 models)
- iPhone5,4 = iPhone 5c (A1529 / A1526 / A1507 models)
- iPhone6,1 = iPhone 5s (models A1453 / A1533)
- iPhone6,2 = iPhone 5s (models A1518 / A1430 / A1457 / A1528)
- iPhone7,1 = iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone7,2 = iPhone 6
- iPod5,1 = 5th generation iPod touch
Along with iOS 8, Apple also released the new version of the Apple TVs software (6.2.1 for second generation Apple TVs and 7.0 for the latest ones). Here are the links: