Xiaomi started developing MIUI long before producing smartphones or any other gadget. The interface is now in its tenth version and more attractive than ever. Got a Xiaomi smartphone? So you absolutely need to know these tips and tricks.
Note: Some features may not be available on all Xiaomi smartphones and all MIUI versions. For reference, we use Xiaomi Mi 8 and MIUI 10 to complete.
A world of themes awaits you
One of the most fun and enjoyable aspects of MIUI is the ability to deeply customize your smartphone without losing the style and attention to detail that Xiaomi has put into your software and without resorting to external applications.
To change the theme of your smartphone, you need to download new themes first. To do this, simply open the Themes app on the initial screen. You will immediately be taken to an online store where you can search, download or purchase new themes for your smartphone.
You can apply an entire theme or just some parts of it (for example, if you only like the icons or font used), which takes customization to extreme levels, allowing you to create your own theme by blending elements from others.
You can also view downloaded themes in Settings> Themes.
Make the most of your screen
True no perfect screen. But thanks to MIUI we can modify its appearance and behavior to satisfy the user to the fullest. Go to Settings> Display to access a large number of settings:
- Reading Mode: Also known as Blue Light Filter on other devices. Reduces the shades of blue on the screen to prevent eye strain. You can even program the function to turn on and off automatically at specific times or after sunset.
- Contrast & Colors: Here you can change the temperature and color saturation and contrast of the screen. Cooler colors tend to turn bluish, warmer to reddish. The higher the saturation, the more intense the colors.
- Always On: When you enable this option, you will see the time, date, and notification icons even when the screen is off. This is especially useful if your smartphone has an AMOLED display, as it has a minimal power consumption (in AMOLED, only the lit dots on the screen consume power).
- System Font: Modify the font size used throughout the system.
- Double-tap wake-up: Activate this item to wake up your smartphone by double-tapping the off screen instead of pressing the power button. Believe me, it's very practical.
- Raise to turn on screen: Similar to a feature that Apple has implemented on the iPhone, it turns on the screen automatically whenever you lift your smartphone.
A status bar full of useful information
MIUI has specific options that allow you to display extra information in the status bar at the top of the screen. Go to Settings> Notifications and status bar to enable the following features:
- Notification folders: MIUI will group notifications that you consider to be unimportant into a separate folder.
- Display connection speed: Shows in real time the speed of your 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi network connection.
- Edit Carrier Name: Do you want to call the first SIM card "Private" and the second SIM card "Business"? That is the option for you.
- Battery Indicator: The remaining battery charge may be displayed graphically or as a percentage.
One app for you, another for work
Do you often use multiple social networking accounts or messaging apps because of your hobby or work? Many apps allow you to have multiple accounts and quickly switch between them, but not all (for example, WhatsApp). But Xiaomi has the solution for you, you can clone apps to use two different accounts at the same time!
You will find the Dual Apps function at the bottom of the settings screen. Just indicate which application you want to duplicate.
Protect apps with personal information
MIUI also keeps an eye on privacy, with many features designed for application and data security. In App Lock, in Settings, you can choose to block access to some of your apps with your fingerprint or password, to prevent them from being opened by onlookers if you lend your smartphone to anyone.
Take some time to relax.
Now that you have calibrated your screen, customized your smartphone, and protected your apps, you can finally breathe a sigh of relief. And did you know that the MIUI clock app has a function designed for meditation and relaxation? Just open the app, go to the Timer at the top of the screen, set a duration and, at the bottom of the screen, choose from a variety of relaxing sounds like Forest, Summer Night, Beach, Rain and Bonfire.
What's new in MIUI 10?
- Redesigned Recent Tasks Menu: The new Recent Tasks menu makes use of the new screens in 18: 9 aspect ratio thus providing greater enjoyment of the windows of each open application. In addition, you can add each open task or application to a doubtful screen mode.
- Game Optimizer: a feature that promises to improve gaming performance by intelligently allocating CPU and GPU resources and managing background tasks according to game demands, ensuring maximum performance.
- Browsing by gestures or virtual buttons: You can choose to keep the traditional navigation bar at the bottom of the screen with the Back, Home, and Recent buttons, or use a new gesture navigation system that hides the buttons and lets apps make better use of the screen.
- Applications open faster: By the name of AI Preloading this new technology will open applications almost instantly. It monitors which applications you use most and preloads, so when you run them they will open quickly.
- Blur effect without needing dual camera: Many manufacturers have stated that the Bokeh effect on portraits was only possible on dual camera devices, but the MIUI 10 uses artificial intelligence to bring this feature to single camera devices, either front or rear. Check out examples in the images below:
How to upgrade to MIUI 10
The newest version of MIUI is now available, and gradually Xiaomi releases it in the form of updates to their devices. If yours has not yet received MIUI 10, wait for it to arrive soon. Check below the devices that will receive or are already officially receiving the version:
And what do you think about MIUI 10? Leave your opinion in the comments.
(tagsToTranslate) MIUI (t) MIUI 10 (t) MIUI news (t) MIUI 10 release (t) MIUI tips (t) tips xiaomi (t) news xiaomi