The big difference is due to the native compatibility with Mac OS X and the ability to manage up to 9TB of data. The original MediaSmart was introduced to the market a month after the release of Time Machine, which was launched in October 2007 as one of the features of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
An increasing number of experienced users have both Windows and Macs running machines in their homes, with hundreds and sometimes thousands of multimedia files and documents scattered on their computers, said Jason Zajac, vice president of strategy for HP's Worldwide Attach Group. The HP MediaSmart Server protects, stores and organizes all content from anywhere on a network, so consumers can access and share whatever they want, from wherever they are connected, concludes.
The MediaSmart Server ex485 / ex487 will provide functions such as:
- HP Media Collector: which copies and centralizes files and libraries from computers in a convenient way and at the scheduled time.
- Media Streaming: which allows access to music and photos over the internet.
- Server for iTunes: centralize all iTunes libraries on a single server.
- HP Photo Publisher: for easy uploading of photos to Facebook, Picasa Web Albums and Snapfish.
- HP Photo Viewer: Easily share photos with friends and family.
- PC Hard Drive Backup: saves files from connected PCs using the Windows Home Server backup function.
- Mac Hard Drive Backup: saves files from Macs using Leopard Time Machine software.
- Server Backup: which allows duplication of determined folders on separate disks.
- Online Backup: save your data on online servers like Amazon S3 just as an extra precaution.
- Smart Power Management: save energy by putting the server to sleep at specific times.
HP MediaSmart Server ex485 / ex487 models have a 64-bit Intel Celeron 2GHz processor. Both come with 2GB of 800MHz DDR2 DRAM memory and, although they are full of services, keep in mind that your goal is to serve the personal use market. The suggested prices are: US $ 600 for the ex485 model with 750GB, and US $ 750 for the ex487 with 1.5TB. MediaSmart Server will hit the market in February, but can be purchased in advance from January 5, at stores: Amazon, Best Buy, Buy.com, Frys and NewEgg.
More information can be found on the product website. Does Apple counter that? Next year, we'll see.