Posting a video longer than 30 seconds in WhatsApp Status is not possible natively. However, it is possible to resort to a trick to place an entire video, either from YouTube or from your image gallery, without missing any snippets.
The following tutorial consists of three steps. In the first, we explain how to download the video from YouTube. In the second, we show how to divide into parts to publish everything in the Status. In the third step, you can check how to post the video on WhatsApp.
Attention: When placing a YouTube video in the Status, be aware of the content’s reproduction rights. Many films on the platform are protected by copyright law.
How to download a YouTube video to put on WhatsApp Status
1. Open the YouTube app and access the video you want to post on Status. Touch To share, located below the player;
2. Among the options that open, go to Copy link;
3. Now go to the video download site Online Video Converter and go to option Convert a Video Link;
4. Paste the copied link in the box provided. Keep the option MP4 selected. If you want, you can change the video quality, kept as automatic, by default, to between 240p to 1080p. Then, tap Begin;
5. Wait until the process is finished and go to Download to download the content;
The video will be stored in the folder Downloads | your smartphone.
How to split a video to put in WhatsApp Status
By default, only videos with a maximum of 30 seconds in WhatsApp Status are allowed, however, in the case of larger films, the ideal is to use tools that automatically divide the videos.
In our step by step we opted for the app Story Split, which allows you to indicate in parts how many seconds we want to share the video.
1. Download the Story Split app on your smartphone;
2. Open Story Split. In Select folder, choose the folder Download, to more easily find the previously downloaded video;
3. Touch the movie you want to split. A preview will appear, go to Next to continue;
4. On the next screen, place 30 below the option Split per Part (divide by part, in free translation). Check if the unit of measurement is in Secs (seconds). Beside, the app informs how many parts the video will be divided. In the case of our tutorial, in 12;
5. follow on Continues;
6. Wait for the video splitting process to finish, which may take a few minutes. When finished, the video clips will be available in the folder Story Split.
How to publish an entire video on WhatsApp Status
1. Open WhatsApp as usual and tap the tab Status;
2. Go in My status to make the publication;
3. By default, the most recent photo and video files appear in thumbnail. If you need to watch older videos, drag your finger from the bottom to the top of the screen;
4. Touch the last part of the video in the sequence, which will be the beginning of the video, for a few seconds. Then touch the other parts, always from the last to the first section;
5. Confirm in OK, in the upper right corner of the screen;
6. Confirm that the order of the videos is correct and add captions or editing to each one, individually, if you want. Finish the publication by touching the circle with the green arrow at the bottom right of the screen.
As the Status displays the films published in sequence, the video will appear as if it were whole, without the user having to play each part.
Copyright of YouTube videos
It is important to always be aware of the rights to use a video when sharing it. After all, publishing third party protected content without your permission can be considered a crime.
In its Help Center, YouTube explains some cases. The service informs that, in several countries, “when a person creates an original work that is displayed in a physical medium, he automatically owns the copyright of the work”.
This means that only she can use the material or say who can also use it. The platform also explains that there are cases called Acceptable Use. That is, those in which it is possible to use content without the prior authorization of the author.
In the United States, reproducing commentary, analysis, research, teaching or reporting works may be considered acceptable by the authorities. They can also be used this way when the use is not for commercial purposes and if the reproduction has an educational purpose.
Also according to YouTube, if the material is factual and not purely fictional, the chances of having its use considered justified increase. The platform also lists myths of acceptable use. Are they:
- “If I give credit to the copyright owner, my use will automatically be considered acceptable”;
- “Uses for ‘entertainment’ or ‘non-profit’ are automatically acceptable”;
- “If I add original materials I created to someone else’s copyrighted work, my use will be acceptable.”
Detailed explanations on the question of Acceptable Use of the work of third parties can be found on the page What is acceptable use ?, created by YouTube itself. It is worth remembering that each country has its own legislation, which must be respected.
Journalist graduated from UFRJ, she has been writing about technology for seven years. Carioca currently lives in Portugal, the country he adopted. In his free time, he enjoys going to the beach, reading, watching movies and doing series marathons. Instagram is your favorite social network, but it is WhatsApp that saves you from missing those who stayed in Brazil.