contador web Saltar al contenido

If this happens, stop using your smartphone immediately!

Smartphones are engineering marvels, combining electronics and volatile chemicals into one package designed to safely and efficiently deliver the latest memes on Facebok. But it doesn't always go as planned, and there are situations where things can get out of control and endanger the integrity of the device and even the life of the user. If one of them happens to you, stop using your smartphone immediately!

Swollen battery

The batteries used in our electronics, including our smartphones, work based on carefully calculated chemical reactions. And under normal conditions of use they are quite stable. But a defective battery, whether it has been overcharged (charged over the edge) or charged by a faulty charger or smartphone, becomes unstable. Chemical reactions change, and so does their behavior.

One of the reactions that may occur is the oxidation of the battery electrolyte (the Lio in the name of Ltion-on batteries). This reaction has as its by-product gas, which with nowhere to go out accumulates inside the battery and makes it swell up like a balloon. There comes a time when the battery bursts, exposing its contents to the air.

AndroidPIT Smartphone Overheating 2579
Swollen batteries are real time bombs / AndroidPIT

In contact with air oxygen the lithium salts react violently and ignite. That is, your battery catches fire. It's a lithium fire that is very violent: I've seen a blazing battery open a hole in the desk top in a matter of minutes.

Therefore, never use or recharge a bloated battery as it may be a time bomb. If you suspect the battery of your smartphone, take a test: remove it from the device (if possible) and place it on the table. If it stays perfectly flat on the surface, that's fine. But if it rocks it is deformed and needs to be replaced. If your smartphone has a fixed battery, look for signs that the back cover is deformed or not properly seated.

Overheating

It is normal for a smartphone to heat up during intense use, such as after a session with your favorite game. What is not normal is this heating to the point where it is uncomfortable to touch the smartphone or leave it in your pocket. Especially if he has never done it before.

This may be because of a defective battery (see above), but in our tropical country overheating inside the car is very common. You hang your smartphone on the dashboard, turn on Waze, and hit the road. And do not realize that in addition to the heat generated by normal use, the smartphone is also being cooked by sunlight on the panel.

Many smartphones have a safety limit and display a message that the temperature is too high and needs to be turned off. If this happens, turn off the unit and put it in a cool place. Leave it there for at least half an hour, or until you notice that the temperature has returned to normal levels.

sony xperia z3 plus camera problems
Be careful / AndroidPIT

The problem here is also battery related. Lithium-on batteries have a specific operating temperature range, with a limit of about 50C. Above that can occur what is called Thermal Runaway, an uncontrollable chain reaction.

Simply put, the heat accelerates exothermic reactions within the battery, which produce heat, which will further accelerate the reactions, and so on. The result is flames that can reach a temperature of 400 ° C, and will only go out when all the battery material has been consumed.

By then, there is a great chance that material around your smartphone is also on fire, and you have a big problem with your hands. Watch the video of fires caused by the batteries of the Galaxy Note 7 and you get a good idea of ??the danger.

Broken cable

You often see people using broken USB cables, exposed wires, or wrapped in electrical tape. And each time I see this, I try to make the person aware of the risk they are taking, not always successfully.

People think that since a USB charger operates at 5 Volts, there is no danger if they get a shock as the voltage drops. But what kills the current, not the voltage. And even the most basic USB chargers operate at 1 Ampre.

How dangerous is that? Well, 100 milliamps (one tenth of a charger's current) running through your body for 2 seconds is enough to cause death from cardiac arrest. Even a very low current of only 10 mA is enough to lock your muscles, so you can't let go of the shocked object.

USB Cable Damage
Believe me, I've seen people using cables in this state. / Wikimedia Commons

Not infrequently, news of people who died from using a smartphone while it was being charged. And most of the time a broken cable is the murder weapon, sometimes linked to complicities like pirate shippers, which do not have security mechanisms that protect the user in case of short circuit.

Broken cables have another problem: With poor contact, you will not be recharging your device's battery efficiently. It will take much longer to recharge, and intermittent current can even damage the charging circuit of the smartphone, leading to the first problem on this list.

Bottom line: USB cables are cheap and easy to find. If yours is damaged, replace it already.

Broken screen

This is not a life threat to the user, but to the smartphone. They are very delicate machines, and a broken screen plus a door for moisture and dust to enter the device. And it can cause damage that will be more expensive than a simple screen change, like rust on the motherboard. The longer you use the device in this state, the greater the risk.

I know, I can't always fix a broken screen as soon as an accident happens. You may not have time to take the phone to an authorized dealer, or you may not be without a cell phone while you wait for the repair, or the money is short and the repair is due when it comes. But change the screen as soon as you can.

AndroidPIT dead galaxy s6 3080
Broken screens can make it easier for moisture and dust to enter your smartphone, causing more damage / AndroidPIT

One way to minimize the risk of damage from falling is to use a flexible case or cover, popularly known as a silicone case. Rubber helps absorb energy from impact, and can reduce the chance of damage.

Some people swear that a glass film (also known as anti-impact) reduces the risk of screen breakage, but I personally don't believe in this superpower. At best, they are made of the same material as the canvas (often with inferior material), and an impact that breaks one can certainly break the other.

And you, have you had any of these situations? Leave your opinion in the comments

Hardware
Tips and Curiosities

  (tagsToTranslate) smartphone (t) broken (t) broken screen (t) swollen battery (t) hot smartphone (t) smartphone warming (t) smartphone overheating (t) broken USB cable (t) torn USB cable (t) galaxy note 7