It is possible to download subtitles from YouTube videos online and for free. The feature is available both for automatically generated transcripts and for added by content creators.
AppGeek explains how to download subtitles online and manually. Also check out how to download the file in .sbv, .vtt and .srt formats from your own videos hosted on the platform.
The functionality can be useful for taking educational video notes or watching the movie on an offline player.
Attention: Stay tuned for YouTube copyright. Downloading and reproducing video files without authorization from the creator is considered a crime under Brazilian law.
How to download subtitles from YouTube online
There are a number of sites that offer the option of downloading video captions from YouTube. AppGeek chose the DVDVideoSoft solution, due to the customization tools that the service provides. It is possible to use it both on the PC and on the mobile phone, using the browser of your choice.
1. First, access the YouTube website and copy the video link that has the caption you want to download;
- If you're using the YouTube app on your phone, touch the arrow icon (To share) below the player and choose Copy link;
2. Now go to the YouTube DVDVideoSoft Online Subtitles Downloader website. Paste the link in the box where it says Insert YouTube link here. Then tighten the button Download;
3. The site automatically generates a file to download. However, do not download it at this point and close the window;
4. Scroll down to see the editing features. Comes Interval if you do not want to download the complete subtitle, but only a part of it, indicate the start and end time;
5. Item Time stamp offers the following options:
- Remove time stamps: removes the time stamp. This option is useful for those who just want the text and do not use the caption in a player.
- Original timestamps (for each sentence): maintains the original time stamp. the most suitable for those who want to use the file as a subtitle in an offline video player.
- Custom timestamps every: offers the personalization of the time stamp, inserting it every 1, 2, 5 or 10 minutes.
6. If you want, you can review the text on the website itself, before downloading. Just correct as you prefer in the seo Preview;
7. After all edits, choose the format in which you want to save the file. It is possible to download as .srt (subtitle format), .txt or copy. If you choose to remove the time stamp, in step 4, the .srt option will not be available.
How to download subtitles from YouTube manually
If you want, you can extract the subtitle text manually on YouTube, whether it is generated automatically or by the video author. The process is quite simple and requires the use of a text editor. The following tip works only in the browser on the PC.
1. Open the browser of your choice, access YouTube and watch the video that contains the desired subtitle;
2. Click on the three dots icon below the player. Choose Open Transcript;
3. The box with the content transcript will open on the right side of the player. By default, it is displayed with the time stamp. If you want to remove it, click on the three-dot icon above the box and go to Show or hide date and time;
4. Now, select all the text and copy (via the keyboard shortcut Crtl + C);
5. Paste the text in the editor of your choice and make any changes you deem necessary.
How to download YouTube subtitles from your own video
If you choose to use YouTube Studio to subtitle your own videos, the platform offers the option to download the file created by you natively. That is, it is not necessary to use any third party app or website.
The files are available in .sbv, .vtt and .srt formats.
1. Open YouTube Studio and, if you are not logged in, log in to your account on the platform. So click Videos, in the menu located on the left side of the screen;
2. Hover your mouse over the video in which you want to include a caption. When the pencil cone appears, click on it;
3. In Video details, access the tab More options;
4. Scroll to the section Original video language, subtitles and CC. If you have manually written the caption, there may be more than one option available. Click on the one you want to use (manual or automatic) and go to Edit in the classic version of the Creative Studio;
5. click in Aes and below Download, choose the format of the caption. Save the file in the folder of your choice.
How to put subtitles on YouTube video automatically
Copyright of YouTube videos
Publishing third party content without your permission can be considered a crime. The YouTube Help Center reports that, in many countries, "when a person creates an original work that is displayed in a physical medium, they automatically own the copyright to the work."
However, there are cases that can be framed in what is called Acceptable Use. They are those that can be used without the author's prior authorization. In the United States, for example, reproducing commentary, analysis, research, teaching or reporting works may be considered acceptable by the authorities.
They can also be used in this way when the use is not for commercial purposes and if the reproduction is for educational purposes. Also according to YouTube, if the material is factual and not purely fictional, the chances of having its use considered justified increase. The platform also lists myths of acceptable use. Just them:
- "If I give credit to the copyright owner, my use will automatically be considered acceptable";
- "Uses for 'entertainment' or 'non-profit' are automatically acceptable";
- "If I add original materials created by me to someone else's copyrighted work, my use will be acceptable."
Detailed explanations on the question of the Acceptable Use of the work of third parties can be found on the page What is acceptable use ?, created by YouTube itself. It is worth remembering that each country has its own legislation, which must be respected.
Journalist graduated from UFRJ, she has been writing about technology for seven years. Carioca currently lives in Portugal, a country he adopted. In his free time, he enjoys going to the beach, reading, watching movies and doing serial marathons. Instagram is your favorite social network, but WhatsApp saves you from missing those who stayed in Brazil.