Changing the @ (at) of Twitter, also called a username or display name, is a quick and easy process. The change can be made either by the computer or by the Android phone or iPhone.
The new name can be a maximum of 15 characters. The change does not change your number of followers, Direct Messages (DMs) received or responses.
How to change Twitter @ via mobile (Android or iPhone)
1. Open the Twitter app installed on your iPhone or Android. Touch your profile image in the upper left corner of the screen;
2. In the menu that opens, touch Settings and privacy;
3. Then, go to Account;
4. Now, tap Username;
5. In New, delete the name being displayed and write the @ you want to use. If the name is already in use, you will receive an alert. When finished, tap Done.
How to change Twitter @ on PC
1. Access the Twitter page through the browser of your choice and, if your account is not connected, login. Click on the 3-dot cone, located in the menu on the left side of the screen;
2. Then click on Security and Privacy;
3. With the option Account selected, go to Username;
4. Write the new name you want to use. If already in use, receive an alert from Twitter and suggestions of names available. Complete the process in To save.
Warn your followers
As we already said, changing the @ does not change your followers, DMs or responses in any way. However, it is possible that your followers search for it by the old username and don't find it.
So, in order not to run the risk of not being found, a tip from Twitter itself to warn before making the change. Make a tweet so that everyone knows and can communicate by Direct Message through the new @.
The alert is also important to avoid communication errors. After all, your old @ is available to other users as soon as you make the change. And if someone starts using it, they can receive messages that should be directed to their profile.
Tips for choosing an @ on Twitter
Before deciding on a new username on the social network, I need to know that there are some rules and tips. They are:
- It is not possible for an @ to contain the words Twitter or Admin (other than official social network accounts);
- Although the limit is 15 characters, try to use a short name. The smaller the @, the easier it is for your followers to remember;
- It is only possible to use alphanumeric characters, that is, only letters and numbers. The only exception is the underline or underscore (_);
- The use of the underlined dash is also an alternative to be able to use an @ that is already in use. For example, if you want to use the name @usuario and it is already in use, you can choose @usuario_, @_usuario or where you prefer to place the symbol, if available;
- Choose as simple as possible and preferably refer to your name or surname. The fewer difficult words or words you use on @, the easier it is to find you on the web.
Journalist graduated from UFRJ, she has been writing about technology for seven years. Carioca currently lives in Portugal, a country he adopted. In his free time, he enjoys going to the beach, reading, watching movies and doing serial marathons. Instagram is your favorite social network, but WhatsApp saves you from missing those who stayed in Brazil.