The feature of blurring the background of the photo is already available natively on most modern smartphones. Portrait mode promises greater depth of field by blurring the back of the image, leaving the element in the foreground in focus.
The effect, also known as bokeh, can only be applied when taking the photo. To use inserting it into a photograph that has already been taken, you need to resort to the help of applications or online editing tools.
AppGeek shows you how to blur the background of the photo without difficulty in each of these options. Check out!
On the iPhone and Android Camera app
Portrait mode is available on the latest models of iPhone and Android devices. The functionality is available in the camera app of these phones and allows you to blur the background in real time, when taking the photo.
All iPhone models, starting with iPhone 7 Plus, have the function. In selfie mode, it is only present on iPhone X or later. Using it very simple. Just open the camera app and slide options to mode Portrait.
When everything is ready, the name of the lighting effect used will be yellow. Then just touch the round button to take the picture.
On Android, most models with two rear cameras bring the effect to the camera app natively. The LG V30 is one of the exceptions. Some devices with only one camera also offer functionality, created through software and not through the lens kit.
The way to use it may vary slightly depending on the device and the manufacturer. But in general, just open the camera app and search for Portrait or Focus mode. The orientation is to place the object or person in focus at a distance of up to 2.5m from the cell phone.
With the help of an application for Android and iPhone
Anyone who doesn't have a cell phone with Portrait mode or wants to apply the bokeh effect to a photo already taken, can use an editing app. For our tutorial, we will use the Snapseed app, available for Android and iOS.
So, to follow the step by step, I need to download the app on your smartphone.
1. Open Snapseed and tap the circle + or in Open and tap on the photo you want to edit;
2. With the image already open in the application, tap Tool;
3. Scroll through the tools menu and, when Focus effect, tap on the option;
4. By default, the effect is opened in an oval / rounded shape. In the center is the object in focus and at the edge the transition area for the blurred area;
- It is possible to increase or decrease the radius of the circle by dragging two fingers over it in a pinch motion.
- The center can be changed by touching the blue circle and dragging it to the area of the image in which you want to focus.
5. If you want to change the blur pattern to straight edges, touch the icon of a circle with another inside, in the bottom menu. As with the circular option, you can move it around the image and position it where you prefer;
6. Regardless of the circular or straight pattern, the application allows you to customize the blur. In the cone in the center of the screen, you will have access to the control of the degree of blur, the size of the transition zone and the intensity of the vignette;
7. To edit, just tap on the desired option and then drag the bar at the top of the screen to the right or left;
8. After all adjustments are completed, go to the check icon (), located in the lower right corner of the screen;
9. To save the result, tap Export. Then decide if you want to save a copy on your device or share via an application.
Online (without downloading any app or program)
If you prefer to edit the image on your computer or do not want to download a program on your phone, you can use online apps. Fotoram is one of the best options available, as it allows you to adjust the degree of blur.
1. Open the browser of your choice on your phone or PC and access the Fotoram website. Comes Upload Image and choose the photo you want to blur;
2. Now, select the option Focus;
3. It is possible to adjust the radius of the zone kept in focus on the item Focus. J in Amount, the user chooses the intensity of the blur;
4. When you finish making adjustments, go to To save to save the image;
5. Choose the format (.JPG or .PNG), the quality and click on the down arrow icon to download.
Instagram allows you to blur the background of photos that will be posted in the feed. To do this, just touch the cone of +, in the center of the screen, and touch the desired photo.
Insert the filter you want and then go to the tab Edio. Scroll to the bottom and tap Tilt shift. In Radial, the central zone is kept in focus and the edges are blurred. Use two fingers to move the pin to increase or decrease the radius of the area in focus.
If you choose Linear, the straight blurred area. It is also possible to effect the effect on the screen and enlarge and reduce the portion of the blurred image.
When you finish making adjustments, go to Conclude. Then, just finish publishing, as you would any other post on the social network.
Journalist graduated from UFRJ, she has been writing about technology for seven years. Carioca currently lives in Portugal, a country he adopted. In his free time, he enjoys going to the beach, reading, watching movies and doing serial marathons. Instagram is your favorite social network, but WhatsApp saves you from missing those who stayed in Brazil.