It is the end of an era for South Korean rapper Psy and his popular song «Gangnam Style» – which broke the YouTube view counter in 2014.
“We never thought that a video would be watched in numbers larger than a 32-bit integer [2,147,483,647 visualizações], but that was before we met Psy, ”said YouTube at the time.
After 5 years at the top, the video was overtaken by Wiz Khalifa’s clip, “See You Again”, which pays tribute to Paul Walker – Fast and Furious actor who died in 2013.
However, Khalifa should not remain on the YouTube lead for long.
The 10 most viewed videos on YouTube already account for more than 2 billion views, and many of them are accelerating the numbers.
YouTube TOP 10 (via BoingBoing):
- Wiz Khalifa, See You Again (ft Charlie Puth) – 2,895,373,709
- Psy, Gangnam Style – 2,894,426,475
- Justin Bieber, Sorry – 2,635,572,161
- Mark Ronson, Uptown Funk (ft Bruno Mars) – 2,550,545,717
- Luis Fonsi, Despacito (ft Daddy Yankee) – 2,482,502,747
- Taylor Swift, Shake It Off – 2,248,761,095
- Enrique Iglesias, Bailando – 2,232,756,228
- Maroon 5, Sugar – 2,150,365,635
- Katy Perry, Roar – 2,129,400,973
- Taylor Swift, Blank Space – 2,101,607,657