The COVID-19 pandemic does not have a negative impact on all sectors and 5G should be an example of that. According to Ericsson's latest estimate, the number of 5G users worldwide is expected to reach 2.8 billion by 2025, with the new public health crisis helping to explain this growth compared to the latest data released .
According to Reuters, the figures were advanced by Ericsson's strategic marketing director, Patrik Cerwal, at one of the three online events the company is hosting on Monday. However, the representative did not know more details regarding the information he made available.
In any case, the numbers now released correspond to an increase, when compared to the 2.6 billion subscribers estimated in November 2019. At the time, the edition of the Ericsson Mobility Report was already revising forecasts, talking about a coverage of 5th generation network that would cover 65% of the world population, generating 45% of the total global mobile data traffic.
Opening the set of three online events, Ericsson CEO Brje Ekholm also highlighted the importance of networks during times of crisis and the opportunity to rethink about their role in the future. "With COVID-19, fixed and mobile telecommunications networks have become an even bigger part of critical infrastructure, demonstrating the importance of network quality, said the CEO of Ericsson.
This is precisely where 5G comes in, by offering service providers the opportunity to gain advantages over competitors. "We are already seeing early signs of providers that are monitoring the opportunity in relation to mobile generation," explained Brje Ekholm, who highlighted the importance of 5G.
"While 4G has brought application savings, 5G will be the biggest open innovation platform ever, Ericsson’s CEO guarantee
The importance of ensuring equal access to 5G
The company representative also stressed the need for equal access to the 5th generation. "Governments must ensure that all citizens and businesses enjoy the benefits of the 5G era equally, he said.
The next and last online session took place at 6:00 pm in Lisbon, at a time when Portugal again had "conditions" to resume work on DTT and 5G. It should be recalled that the COVID-19 pandemic led Anacom to suspend the migration process of the DTT network in mid-March and the public consultation of the 5G auction.
More recently, last week, it was learned that the United States is defining a new set of rules that will allow US companies to collaborate with Huawei in setting standards for 5G. The document will still need the green light from other government agencies and, for now, there is no certain date in relation to the final approval.