'Messenger rooms' work on Facebook, Instagram and even on Whatsapp. Learn how to use the feature and create video call rooms with up to 50 participants
Social isolation made many people turn to video calls in Group. Whether to hold business meetings or to miss your friends, apps like Zoom, Google Meet and Skype offer easy-to-use platforms with a lot of free features, but did you know that Messenger Rooms also allows you to create video conference rooms for up to 50 people with very few clicks?
Despite living in the shadow of Whatsapp, Messenger has an advantage over all these other services when it comes to video calling, since the app has video conference rooms that can be created on all Facebook social networks, including Instagram and Whatsapp. In addition to supporting up to 50 simultaneous participants, the rooms allow anyone with the link to participate and share the call with third parties, even if they do not have an account on any of the company's social networks.
At the step by step that you can see below, we teach you how to create Messenger Rooms in all Facebook applications. Important: although it is not necessary to have Messenger to participate in the rooms, I need the application for create rooms it can be downloaded both from the App Store (iPhone and iPad) and from the Google Play Store (Android).
Creating Messenger rooms in… Messenger
- Step 1. With Messenger already installed on your smartphone, open the app and tap on the “People” tab at the bottom of the screen:
- Step 2. Touch the ‘Create a room’ option:
- Step 3. On the room creation screen, note that you can switch between the front and rear cameras, turn off the video and most importantly: share your room's link so that other people can participate in it. In the “Edit” button, you can also define whether anyone with the link can participate in the room or if it is restricted to anyone who has a Facebook account:
- Step 4. Share your room link with the people you want to invite to your group video call. In addition to being able to share it with Messenger and Instagram users, you can copy the link to the room and send it in any application, even by email:
Ready! The call will be initiated as soon as someone accesses it from the link.
- Step 1. Open the Instagram app and tap the direct messages shortcut (Direct) in the upper right corner of the screen:
- Step 2. Touch the video camera icon, also located in the upper right corner of the screen:
- Step 3. Tap on “Create a room”:
- Step 5. Confirm the creation of the room on your behalf:
- Step 6. To invite an Instagram user to your room, just tap the “Send” button. You can also search for users by searching for them by name in the search bar. When inviting all desired users, tap on “Finish”:
- Step 7. If you want to invite someone who is not on Instagram, copy the link to your room and send it manually to the desired person. When finished, tap “Enter the room” to open the video call room;
- Ready. Wait for the other guests to enter the room for the video call to begin.
- Step 1. Like Whatsapp already open, tap the "Calls" tab (or "Calls" on the iPhone).
- Step 2. Then, touch the video camera icon.
- Step 3. Authorize Whatsapp to open Messenger.
- Step 4. Touch “Create room as…” and then “Send link on Whatsapp”.
- Step 5. Select the Whatsapp contacts to which you want to send your room link.
- Step 6. Access your conversation with one of the people you invited, then just click on the link you sent yourself and confirm the option "Enter as …".
- Step 7. The video call will start when any of the other people invited to the room also enter.
- Step 1. In the Facebook application, to the left of the area where your friends' stories are located, tap on “Create room”:
- Step 2. In the “Who was invited?” Option, define who can access the room (all your friends or just specific people) and click “Save”. Optionally, you can also define an activity for your room and a start time (now or later):
- Step 3. When finished, tap “Create room”:
- Step 4. Send the link to your room to your friends on Facebook. When finished, tap “Finish”:
- Step 5. On the next screen, you can open the room by tapping “Enter the room”. On this same screen, some options allow you to share the room on your Facebook profile, copy the room link to send in other applications or close the room:
Step 6. Once inside the room, wait for other people to enter before the video call starts.
During video calls
- Step 1. With the video call already in progress, you can activate augmented reality effects, such as masks and backgrounds, by touching your own image:
- Step 2. J to display the call options, just touch another user’s image. You will be presented with options to end the call, take a photo, switch cameras, disable the microphone and copy the room link:
- Step 3. Dragging the tab upwards is still possible to lock the room, so that no one else can access it through the link, disable the camera, see the members of the room, activate the speakerphone and even share the contents of your smartphone screen;
- Step 4. If you need to minimize the call and open another application, you can return to the room via the notification bar.
Okay, now you know how to create Messenger Rooms and make a video call with up to 50 people across all Facebook apps! How about telling us in the comment field below what you think of our tip?
Sources: Messenger; Facebook; Instagram; Whatsapp