Sunday day of our column MM Answers!
The question of the day:
How to change the folder Home a user on macOS?
In macOS, restrictions are controlled by the level of privilege a user has over an item (directory or file). Each user of the system has a folder called Home, where files and information (profile) related to the user who owns the folder are stored. The default path for storing user folders / Users / (name) /.
If you want, for whatever reason, to change the name of your folder Home, know it is possible but risky. Do not attempt to do this unless there is really a problem with your username or a strong reason for the exchange to be made.
As always, it is recommended that you have a full backup of your Mac before performing the procedure.
If you have an external HDD or an AirPort Time Capsule, the most recommended option for backup comes under a nice name: Time Machine.
To activate the feature, go to Time Machine System Preferences, choose the location to save the backup (your external HDD) and that's it! Now just wait for the backup to be done which can take a long time depending on the amount of files / applications you have. The entire process, once activated, starts to be done automatically and you no longer need to worry about anything.
If you don't want to save all the files on your Mac, the other option is to drag your folders (Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.), fonts and everything else that is important to you manually to the external HDD.
Renaming the folder Home
- First of all, one more reminder: make sure you have a backup. If the answer is no, do one before any other step.
- Access another administrator account on your Mac. If you don't have one, create one under ?Users and Groups?, within the System Preferences.
- Access another account with an administrator level.
- In the Finder, go to the menu Go and select Go to Folder.
- Enter the following path: / Users /.
- Select the user folder you want to rename and define a new name for it.
- Open System Preferences and access "Users and Groups".
- Click on the padlock in the lower left corner of the window and authenticate your data to enable access to user settings.
- Right-click (or right-click) Ctrl) in the name of the user who wants to change the folder Home and select "Advanced Options".
- Set the new path for the renamed folder.
- Click "OK".
- Close everything and restart your Mac.
If everything went well, your information, settings and items from your old folder will be presented in the new one now renamed. It is important that you make sure that your most important files, such as photos, videos, music, documents, etc., are in their respective places and with regular access.
· · ·
If you looked for an answer on MM Frum and did not find it or if you simply have any suggestions for the MM Answers (we will select one at a time), just send an email to me (marcelo at our domain) or talk to me on Twitter (@marcelodemelo).
See you next time! ?