Today another tip from our column MM Answers!
Today's questions are: how does it work and how to set up Emergency SOS mode on iPhone / Apple Watch?
IOS 11 came packed with some good and others not so good news. One of the coolest, in my opinion, the Emergency SOS mode. In this article we will explain how it works and how you should configure it on your device.
Check out the feature description provided by Apple:
When you make a call using SOS, iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number. In some countries and regions, you may need to choose the service you need. In China, for example, you can choose between police, fire or ambulance.
It is also possible to add emergency contacts. When an emergency call is complete, iPhone alerts your emergency contacts with a text message, unless you cancel this feature. IPhone sends your current location to emergency contacts, and for a while after you enter SOS mode, iPhone also sends updates when the location changes.
Configuring emergency contacts
To choose the contacts that will be your emergency contacts, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings;
- Select Emergency SOS;
- Touch Set up emergency contacts;
- If you have not yet filled out your Medical Record, you will be asked to complete it;
- Choose the contact and the contact number, if you have more than one;
Emergency contacts can be changed by accessing the Medical Record at any time. It is also possible to define if there is a Countdown Sound and the number of the emergency service that you want to call automatically.
Using Emergency SOS
For iPhones 8, 8 Plus and X, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the side button and one of the volume buttons until the Emergency SOS slider appears;
- Drag the Emergency SOS slider to call emergency services. If you keep pressing the side and volume buttons, instead of dragging the slider, a countdown will start and an alert sound will play. If you press the buttons until the end of the countdown, iPhone will call emergency services automatically.
For iPhones 7 or earlier:
- Quickly press the side button five times. The Emergency SOS slider appears;
- Drag the Emergency SOS slider to call emergency services.
Using the Apple Watch:
- Press and hold the Apple Watch's side button until the Emergency SOS slider appears;
- Continue pressing the side button. Wait until the countdown begins and a sound alert sounds. You can also drag the Emergency SOS slider;
- When the countdown ends, Watch will automatically make calls to the emergency services.
When the call is ended, iPhone automatically sends the information that an emergency call has occurred in the form of a text message, to the contacts registered in your phonebook, with location.
If the location changes, your contacts will receive an update, and you will receive a notification approximately 10 minutes later. To stop updating, touch the status bar and select ?Stop Sharing Location?. By maintaining sharing, you will receive a reminder to stop it every 4 hours for 24 hours.
Very cool, huh? Be sure to configure this important security feature and, if you have any questions, comment below!
· ? ·
If you looked for an answer on MM Frum and haven't found it or if you simply have any suggestions for the MM Answers (we will select one at a time), just send an email to me (marcelo at sign our domain) or talk to me on Twitter (@marcelodemelo).
See you next time! ?