The Government announced its strategy for 5G, not revealing values ??that it expects to obtain from the spectrum auction or specific measures under the risks related to cybersecurity. for the toolbox the mechanisms it will adopt, to be revealed by April 20th.
The main highlight is the list of obligations that telecommunications companies that access 5G frequencies will have to guarantee for the next five years. A very ambitious timetable, as stated by Pedro Nuno Santos, Minister of Planning and Infrastructure. In the topics discussed, the minister points out that the Brussels directives obliged Member States to have at least one city with more than 50 thousand inhabitants with access to 5G by the end of 2020, but the Government intends to go further and present two cities : one not literal, one inside.
SAPO TEK had access to topics that will be published today in the Directorate of the Republic, confirming that there will be three phases in the process, after the end of the year:
At the end of 2020
By the end of the year 2020, at least one city located in low density territories, according to the delimitation adopted by the Interministerial Coordination Commission in the determination of March 26, 2015, and one coastal city, with more than 50 thousand inhabitants must be covered with the 5G network, through individual networks of each of the operators, shared networks or wholesale networks;
1 – By the end of 2023 they must be equipped with 5G networks
– Municipalities with more than 75 thousand inhabitants
– All public hospitals, 50% of public health centers located in low density territories and 50% of public health centers on the coast, which are no longer covered by a high-speed fixed network.
– All universities and political institutes.
– 50% of the business location areas or industrial parks in the coastal municipalities and 50% of the business location areas or parks located in low density territories.
– International airports.
– Priority military installations, as defined by the member of the Government responsible for the area of ??national defense.
2 – By the end of 2024 they must be equipped with 5G networks
– Municipalities with more than 50 thousand inhabitants.
– 95% of the layout of national highways with traffic exceeding 7,300m of vehicle / year.
– A22, A23, A24 and A25; National Roads n. 1 and n. 2.
– 95% of the Braga to Lisbon railway line and the Atlantic rail corridor.
– 98% of the suburban train lines in the metropolitan areas of Lisbon and Porto.
– 98% of the Lisbon, Porto and Margem Sul do Tejo metro networks.
– Porto de Sines, Porto de Setbal, Porto de Lisboa, Porto de Leixes and Porto de Aveiro.
3 – By the end of 2025 they must have 5G networks
– Tendently, 90% of the population will have access to mobile broadband services with an experience of typical use of a rate of not less than 100 Mbps.
– The remaining national commercial ports.
– Highways with traffic exceeding 863m vehicles / year.
– The Lisbon / Faro railway line.
– The remaining military installations.