Nintendo Switch a commercial success. The Japanese company's commitment to a hybrid system and its proprietary titles has borne several fruits and there is now another robust piece of data that guarantees it a status of respect.
According to Daniel Ahmad, a senior analyst at Niko Partners, sales of this latest Nintendo console have already exceeded those of Microsoft's Xbox One.
The records show that 52.48 million units were sold until December 31, with the last few months taking the system to another level of popularity, largely due to the launch of the Pokmon Sword and Pokmon Shield games. Between the beginning of October and the end of December alone, consumers bought 10.81 million units. Also in gross terms, over 64 million games have been sold for the console.
It is important to underline that Switch needed only 34 months to overtake a console that has been on the market since 2013, so the future of the system looks bright.
The strategy of exploiting proprietary sagas has been essential for the success of the system. Currently, the 10 games with the most units sold are as follows:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 22.96 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 17.68 million
- Super Mario Odyssey 16.59 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 16.34 million
- Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield 16.06 million
- Pokemon: Lets Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Lets Go, Eevee! 11.76 million
- Splatoon 2 9.82 million
- Super Mario Party 9.12 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 5.85 million
- Luigis Mansion 3 5.37 million