Hemingway is a free online tool that checks and makes suggestions for improvements in texts written in English. The function is useful for those who are learning the language and want to improve their writing. The broker warns of complex sentences that are difficult to understand, in addition to suggesting alternative words that can be used to make the sentence simpler.
In the following tutorial, learn how to use the Hemingway proofing tool to improve your English writing. The application runs directly from the browser and you do not need to download or install anything on your PC to use it.
Word on mobile: seven functions that few people know
Learn how to use Hemingway to correct texts in English Photo: Reproduo / Helito Beggiora
Want to buy cell phones, TV and other discounted products? Meet Compare TechTudo
Step 1. Access the Hemingway broker website (hemingwayapp.com) and press the "Write" option in the upper right corner of the page. Now, type directly into the app or paste your text in the field at the center of the page;
Type the text you want to correct Photo: Reproduo / Helito Beggiora
Step 2. You can select words or phrases and use the buttons located on the top option bar to format the text. It is possible to use bold, italics, create titles, insert quotes, simple and numbered lists or add links;
Formatting text Photo: Reproduo / Helito Beggiora
Step 3. After making the desired edits, press the "Edit" option in the upper right corner of the page. The broker will analyze the text and make suggestions for improvements;
Correcting text in Hemingway Photo: Reproduo / Helito Beggiora
The colors highlighted by Hemingway mean:
- Blue: Indicates adverbs. They leave the sentences poor. Ideally, use two or less in each paragraph;
- Green: Indicates the use of passive voice when the action precedes the subject. The goal is to use two or less;
- rose: Indicates that the word has a simpler alternative that can be used. Position the mouse cursor over the word to see the suggestion;
- Yellow: Phrase is difficult to understand. Hemingway recommends decreasing sentences or reformulating the text;
- Red: Dense phrase and very difficult to understand. Hemingway recommends reducing the sentences or reformulating the text.
How to solve formatting problem in Word? Ask questions in the TechTudo forum.
How to select all text in Word at once