contador web Saltar al contenido

1% of developers generate 80% of app store downloads, research shows

Recent numbers published by Sensor Tower show that, like the internet (or the world at large), app stores They have also become terrain dominated by a small number of privileged, while crowds of smaller / independent developers struggle for a space that is in the increasingly competitive market.

Considering data from App store It's from Google Play for the third quarter of this year, the firm found that 80% of downloads / purchases made in stores in the period were from apps produced by 1% of developers. Putting that in numbers, the ?elite? of app stores generated 23.6 billion downloads, while the other 99% generated 6 billion an average of 7,650 downloads per developer.

Sensor Tower Survey on Revenue Concentration and Downloads on the App Store

As well noted Dave Mark from The loop, this number represents an average of 2,550 downloads per developer per month which makes the lives of most people who work with the App Store or Google Play very difficult. Note that the 7,650 downloads in the quarter represent 0.001% the numbers generated in the same period by only one developer: the Facebook.

Sensor Tower Survey on Revenue Concentration and Downloads on the App Store

It gets even more acute when it comes to revenue rather than number of downloads. The elite of app stores has spawned $ 20.5 billion last quarter (or 93% of the total), while the remaining 99% of developers generated $ 1.5 billion an average of $ 9,900 per developer over the period.

Focusing only on the category of games, the even greater concentration: 1% generated 82% of downloads (9.1 billion) and 95% of revenue ($ 16.3 billion). It is worth noting, moreover, that none of this is one: revenue and number of downloads have focused on this elite of developers for at least five years now, with occasional fluctuations in rates here and there, as shown in the chart below:

Sensor Tower Survey on Revenue Concentration and Downloads on the App Store

That is, that story: get rich or die trying. Including on the App Store.

Rate this post